April 26, 2015

Diatomaceous Earth Supplementation for Hair Regrowth Update



Well, it's been a while, but I have a lot to report. At the end of January, I was just beginning to see hair regrowth at my roots. Since then, there has been tremendous improvement.

I haven't been consistent in taking my DE daily, but I do take it at least twice a week, usually more. The results in the past few months have been nothing short of amazing for my hair regrowth experiment.

A little background

My hair has been thinning for a couple of years now. It had gotten to the point where there were huge gaps in my hair where it had fallen out in clumps. I started off using castor oil on my scalp and taking biotin, which helped some, but it was messy so I wasn't consistent with it. After doing more research I discovered several other supplements that help with hair loss, such as CLA and N-Acetyl Cysteine, so I added those to my regimen. Again, I am sometimes inconsistent in taking my supplements, but I do take them at least three to four times a week.

Iodine Supplementation and Hair Loss

While the iodine supplementation seemed to help my goiter, it also seemed to make me lose hair, so I've stopped that for awhile. I may start back at 1/4 drop per day (1.25 mg) just to see what happens, but the minute my hair starts falling out again, I'm stopping that again.

Diatomaceous Earth and Hair Regrowth

I discovered the use of diatomaceous earth for regrowing thinning hair back in December. I was actually researching silica, because I knew that the silica in horsetail helped with hair growth. Horsetail turned out to be way too expensive, so I found that DE is 80% silica and very cheap. I bought only two pounds, because I wanted to see how it would work before putting in a lot of money. I haven't even used a whole pound of it yet, so it lasts awhile.

Diatomaceous Earth 2 Lbs Food Grade DE - Includes Free Scoop

Results

When I first started using DE, I noticed a few things:
  1. My joints didn't hurt as much
  2. It is a diuretic, which caused me to have to get up several times a night for potty runs
  3. My nails were growing like mad and getting stronger
  4. My skin started to look healthier
I didn't notice a real difference in my hair for almost a month. Now it's been almost 5 months, and the results are amazing!

My hair is so much thicker, it is a miracle. If I hold my hair up on the sides and top, where it was the thinnest, I can actually SEE the progression of new hair formation. The tips of my hair still show the gaps and thinness present when I first started using DE. Further down, you can see where the gaps started filling in, and they fill in a little more the further down you go. On the last inch of hair next to my scalp, there are no gaps at all, and the hair is thick and healthy looking. My hair has stopped the excessive shedding. I used to have to clean my brushes almost every day, now the shedding is down to almost nothing -- or at least own to normal. At its peak, I think I was losing about 200-300 hairs a day, sometimes in clumps.

Other Observations

The one bad thing I've found is that my hair is coarser. I have natural wave to my hair, and it seems that it is more frizzy and less manageable then before. Still, I'll trade that for being bald any day of the week. I'm researching solutions for this problem, and feel it could be that my baby-fine hair was always due to some deficiency, so this may just be normal hair, and I'm not used to it.

Also, the new hair coming in is darker. My hair had been greying quite a bit, and still has a lot of grey, but when I look at the hair just near the roots, there is almost no grey. The visible new hairs on the top of my head seem to be darker too. Previously, all my new hairs were grey.

I had some die-off symptoms at first, because DE detoxes your system, but they are practically non-existent now. I noticed my urine smelled like old socks and my poop smelled like ammonia, which still happens occasionally. That is caused by the DE removing bacteria from your intestines. Think about it -- old socks smell like foot fungus (yeast)  and ammonia is the byproduct of dying bacteria. 

Needless to say, I am thrilled with the results of using diatomaceous earth for regrowing thinning hair. This is my regimen, for anyone who wants to try it:

Diatomaceous Earth - 1 tablespoon a day (work up slowly from 1/2 tsp. a day, increasing every 3 days by 1/2 tsp. until you get to 1 tablespoon. Otherwise, you may have some serious die-off symptoms).
CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) - one capsule twice a day
Biotin - 5,000 mcg a day
N-Acetyl Cysteine - 600 mg a day
Yogurt or probiotic -- THIS IS IMPORTANT - DE also removes good bacteria from your intestines, so you need to replace those. I happen to love yogurt, so I usually have it once or even twice a day, but if you don't you have to take a probiotic supplement of some sort to restore your beneficial bacteria.
Multi-vitamin/mineral tablet with iron - ALSO IMPORTANT - DE removes metals from your system. Some of these are harmful metals, such as mercury, but it also removes iron, so you absolutely must replace those minerals daily. NOW foods Adam and Eve vitamins are good quality at a reasonable price and have all the vitamins and minerals you need, with 100% of the RDA of iron.

NOW Foods Adam Superior Men's Multi, 90 Softgels

Now Foods Eve, Women's Multi Vitamin, Softgels, 180-Count

Thank you for reading my blog. I hope you get some benefit from it. If you try this protocol, or just appreciate my blog, please subscribe and don't forget to leave a comment and share.

8 comments:

  1. I found your blog and was would like to know if you are still taking these supplements and how your hair growth now? Thanks, Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica, this was just posted this week, so this is the latest update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deborah, thanks so much. Looking forward to your next blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deborah! I'm so happy that you're hair is showing great improvements! I've been taking DE for a month now but have not noticed anything with my hair :(. But I'm also taking iodine because I'm deficient. Maybe I'll stop that. Can you tell me which brand of DE you're taking? Maybe that'll make a difference. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mia, I'm sorry it took me so long to reply to this. I use PermaGuard. This is the link to where I bought mine, but it's gone up in price. I got mine for less than $10. You can buy it in 10 lb bags and save some money. As for the iodine, I had to stop taking it because of the horrible hair loss. Everyone said it would stop falling out, but it didn't. If you don't know positively from a test that you are iodine deficient, I would stop taking it for awhile, or cut way back. I found that at 1/2 drop of 5% Lugols' a day, I didn't get the hair loss, but anything more and I did. I don't necessarily believe in iodine supplementation anymore, because I had such horrible side effects.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-lb-Perma-Guard-Food-Grade-Diatomaceous-Earth-CODEX-DE-Flea-Bed-Bug-Ant-Roach-/251119051795?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a77dca413

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deborah, thank you for your reply. My iodine was tested and came back at 29 (40-92 is normal). I started taking 2 drops of Lugol's a day. I will try half a drop and see what happens. I will also order PermaGuard. This hair loss is quite depressing but reading about your experience is encouraging. I hope it works for me!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you on the same regimen? Is 2017 how is your hair?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deborah, thank you so much for your DE post!! I am a chronic pain sufferer whose morphine and vicodin scripts were taken last year. I began taking kratom for my pain management, but it has a side effect of hair loss in some people and I am one. I was told to take DE to detox the alkaloids that may be creating a deficiency. My question is how much do you take daily? I have worked up to two tsp daily, but I'm not sure if it's the right amount. I'm over 4 weeks in, so I'm hoping to see new growth soon. Do you have any suggestions??

    ReplyDelete

NOTICE TO SPAMMERS: All comments are moderated, and comments with promotional links will be deleted unless we decide otherwise. Anonymous comments have been disabled.